April 21, 2022
Earth Day 2022 marks the 2 year anniversary of our RÆSTART mission. Below is a notation of all the great things RÆBURN has realised in this year.
Our spirit is change. It is innovation. It is the constant evaluation of our practices that allows us insight into the value and impact of our actions. The results are not always perfect, but the rules we apply to our actions are there to hold ourselves accountable.
Earth Day 2020 saw us integrate a new set of rules, and on this anniversary we want to outline the progress that has been made since our last report and reflect on the areas that we still seek to address.
DISRUPTION — Actions over words
- ‘BUY NOTHING NEW’ you couldn't buy anything new from RÆBURN on Black Friday 2021. We disabled our online shop and only sold a selection of second life pieces in-store this weekend. The disruption was in partnership with second life clothing platform Responsible.us, promoting circularity by celebrating clothes already in circulation. The activation was an initial collaboration to make way for greater integration.
- The Lab E20. The 3000sq foot co-creative hub in Victory Plaza, Stratford — designed by RÆBURN continues its residency in the community with its new programmes that aim to drive innovation to make East London the global capital in fashion technology. Showcasing, supporting and building fashion start-ups and business growth. It’s an honour to know that the inspiration behind The Lab E20 has been recognised and drawn upon to extend the focus on building creative communities.
- On World Oceans Day 2021 we joined forces with our friends Boardies® for a team litter pick in Hackney, London. With roughly 80% of marine pollution coming from land sources, accumulating in rivers and coastal areas before flowing into the ocean, the aim was to highlight the importance of responsibly disposing of our man-made waste.
INNOVATION — Make less, make better
- Responsible.us Digital Launch - RÆBURN were the first host to integrate the new Responsible.us Buy Back Scheme – an initiative that celebrates clothes already in circulation. The partnership is intrinsic to our commitment to changing the world through responsible design. Presenting the opportunity for customers to keep their RÆBURN garments in rotation in exchange for RÆBURN store credit, an elevated user experience that brings a circular solution to the growing issue surrounding garment waste.
- RÆBURN is dedicated to disrupting the status quo. We constantly challenge our own practices to ensure we stay on top of the fight to change the way the industry designs, and that isn't solely in reference to clothing. Our goal is to advocate for elevated design that offers long term benefits and creates inspiring experiences. Hence our Marshall Street store -- built from eco-conscious and recycled materials, with longevity and functionality in mind, an approach that compliments the clothing and products on display.
- TNF Renewed consisted of 11 unisex garments and accessories, wholly designed and constructed in the RÆBURN Lab in London. Exclusively available for Zalando Plus members, the project breathes new life into old The North Face products; reimagining unsold stock into coveted new pieces, and ultimately keeping material in circulation.
- 2021 saw the introduction of a wealth of new RÆFOUND styles - personally sourced by Christopher Raeburn - and the continuation of this radical extension of the RÆBURN brand - Nothing New. Nothing Wasted.
INSPIRATION — Transparency and the next generation
- Our B-Corp application is ongoing, with the formalisation of official internal policies still outstanding before accreditation can be reviewed. We are working hard to complete this final step.
- We are honoured to have been named Brand of the Year in the Drapers Sustainable Fashion Awards 2022 for the third year running, as well as the Sustainable Store Design award, a proud recognition of our efforts to RÆSTART and our commitment to inspiring visitors to view waste as a valuable resource.
- RÆBURN was also awarded a CO Leadership Award that celebrates ambition for, and commitment to, responsible business practices, dedicated to solving environmental challenges.
- The RÆBURN Lab is open again to the public, now COVID-19 related restrictions have been lifted. Our cultural programmes include Lab Tours and workshops, that breed craft, community and creativity. The transparency in hosting a diverse and eclectic range of visitors, from students to corporate groups, allows for a greater understanding of how our clothes are made, the materials we use and visibility as to the people who design and make them.
- RÆBURN is built by a team dedicated to strengthening the brand's responsible, creative output year on year. That is why we are proud to announce that we are now London Living Wage accredited - a step we have taken knowing it will meaningfully improve the lives of our team, our most invaluable asset.
All of these factors, the collaborations, awards, recognitions and commitments are used to drive us into broadening our outlook on the logistics surrounding responsible growth as we continue our dedication to responsible design.
Christopher and all at RÆBURN.